|Home > China Feature|
Do It Yourself - How to Make a Zongzi
- Clean the sticky rice with clear water and soak it with 60 water for 5 hours, or steep it in cold water for 12 hours. Soak the wrapping material (it can be indocamalus leaves, or the leaves of bamboo, reed, lotus etc) in cold water for 12 hours. After all the preliminary jobs have been done, you can start to wrap the rice. First of all, take two well-soaked indocamalus leaves, and fold them into a funnel with one end longer than the other.
- Fill in some sticky rice and dates (or pork) into the funnel. The dates can be put in first before being covered with sticky rice, or be put in the middle of the rice.
- Then cover the mouth of the funnel with the longer end of the indocamalus leaves.
- Wrap the stuff into a pentagonal shape, or triangular or quadrangular shape. The key point is to wrap the stuff tightly so that it will not be dispersed while being boiled.
- Finally, tie up the zongzi with a thread. It is essential that the zongzi is fast tied, or it will also be dispersed while being boiled.
- You've made it!