Death certificates for the 14 Egyptian coach crash victims have been issued and insurance companies will arrange to transport the deceased back to Hong Kong as soon as possible, Principal Assistant Secretary for Security Linda So says.
Nine survivors, accompanied by six of their relatives and an immigration officer, arrived in Hong Kong on Feb 4. Ms So said expedited immigration clearance and arrangements with the Hospital Authority had been made to help them return home or go to hospitals as quickly as possible.
Meeting the group at the airport, Director of Home Affairs Pamela Tan said the Government will offer all possible assistance to the victims. She also expressed her condolences to families of those who died in the accident and wished the injured a speedy recovery.
"We are all deeply saddened by the accident. The Chief Executive is very concerned and has instructed all relevant departments to make every effort to help the injured and the bereaved," said Mrs Tan.
Apart from medical treatment, the Social Welfare Department will provide emotional support and appropriate welfare services to the victims and their families.
Meanwhile, the Education & Manpower Bureau has been in close contact with schools with students involved in the accident, and is on hand to help the schools concerned activate their crisis-management teams. The bureau's education psychologists stand ready to offer counselling services and assistance to students in need when they are back to school after the Lunar New Year holidays.
All other survivors have left Hurghada, Ms So said. Six are being treated in Paris and three in Zurich. Twelve have been discharged and are staying in Cairo. The travel agency is making arrangements for them to return to Hong Kong.