ChinaUNESCO-the Great Wall Fellowship
China/UNESCO – the Great Wall Fellowship scheme is a full scholarship scheme set up by the Ministry of Education of China (hereinafter referred to as MOEC) for candidates recommended by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). China Scholarship Council (hereinafter referred to as CSC) administers the recruitment and the routine management of the scheme.
Categories of Applicants and Duration of Scholarship
This scheme sponsors general scholars and senior scholars, and in principle the courses will be taught in English with duration of at most one year. Candidates who will be taught in Chinese are required to get the confirmation from both CSC and UNESCO before starting their study. And the total scholarship duration will be one-year Chinese language training plus one-year major study.
Applicants should apply to the National Commission for UNESCO in their home country between January and April every year.
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese nationals in good health.
2. Educational background and age limit:
- applicants for general scholars must have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies and be under the age of 45.
- applicants for senior scholars must have master or higher degree or hold academic title of associate professor or higher and be under the age of 50.
Details of the Scholarship
- Exempt from registration fee, tuition fee, fee for laboratory experiment, fee for internship, fee for basic learning materials and accommodation;
- Living allowance and a one-off settlement subsidy;
- Fee for outpatient medical service, Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China;
- Fee for a one-off inter-city travel
1) Costs of the laboratory experiment or internship that beyond the university’s arrangements should be afforded by the student himself.
2) Fee for basic learning materials covers the necessary learning materials prescribed by the host institution, and other materials shall be self afforded.
3) Monthly living allowance is paid to the students by the host institution at the following rates (CNY Yuan per month):
- General scholars: CNY 1,700 Yuan
- Senior scholars: CNY 2,000 Yuan
Scholarship students shall get their monthly living allowance from the date of registration. Those who register before 15th (15th included) of the registration month will get the living allowance of a full month, and those who register after 15th will get that of a half month. Scholarship of the graduates will be paid half month after their graduation date. Scholarship of those who suspend or quit their studies will be stopped from the following month. Monthly living allowance will be paid during Chinese national holidays. Scholarship students who do not get the monthly living allowance during holidays can get reimbursed on return. Monthly living allowance of the scholarship students who do not register on time or stay away from university up to one month because of non-health reasons will be stopped.
Scholarship students who have to suspend their education for reason of illness should return to their home country for further treatment and rest. The international travel expenses of return and coming back should be shouldered by the students themselves, the scholarship status will be reserved for at most one year, the monthly living allowance will be stopped during the suspension of education and the scholarship of the students who suspend their education for reasons other than illness will be terminated.
4) A one-off settlement subsidy after registration
- CNY 1000 yuan for new students whose period of studies in China lasts up to six months
- CNY 1500 yuan for new students whose period of studies in China lasts one academic year or more
5) Fee for outpatient medical service refers to the outpatient expense generated in the institution’s hospital or the hospitals appointed by the institution. The students should afford a certain percentage of expense in accordance with the institution’s relevant regulations.
6) Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China is insured by the MOEC for the scholarship students in China against diseases and accidents. The institution is entitled to ask for compensation on the payment receipts from the insurance company for the expenses generated from hospitalizing for serious diseases or from accidental injury according to the stipulated insurance articles.
7) A one-off inter-city travel ticket (each for coming-in and leaving China)
Scholarship students are supposed to choose the nearest port to their admitting institutions for inter-city travel and a hard-seat train ticket (hard-berth train ticket for overnight trip) will be provided to freshmen transferring from the port of entry to the city where the admitting institution is located and students finishing study in China transferring from the city where the institution is located to the nearest port for departure. Expenses for food during the trip and excess of baggage should be self-afforded.
8) International travel expenses: self-afforded