Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is an international higher education institution, jointly founded by Xi’an Jiaotong University, China, and the University of Liverpool, UK, as the result of a strong-strong cooperation. As an independent Sino-Foreign cooperative university, it captures the essence of both prestigious parent universities and is the first and only one of its kind to be approved by the Ministry of Education in China. The University offers undergraduate degree programmes in the fields of science, engineering and management, and awards the globally recognised Bachelor’s degrees of the University of Liverpool, in addition to XJTLU degrees.
Our vision is to become a research-led international university in China, and a Chinese University internationally recognized, with its unique features in learning & teaching, research, social service, as well as education management.
Our mission is to:
- Educate technical and managerial professionals with international perspectives and competitive capabilities;
- Integrate into global economic and social development with its expertise in business and technology;
- With its unique focuses and features, conduct research in areas where humanity faces severe challenges; and
- Explore new models for higher education that will exert a strong influence on the development of education in China and the world.
* Worldwide Reputation for Excellence from Both Parent Universities
The University of Liverpool
• Founded in 1881
• Rated 28th in the Times Good University Guide 2011
• Associated with 8 Nobel Prize winners
• Member of the Russell Group (The Russell Group represents 20 research-led UK universities, including Oxford University, Cambridge University, Imperial College etc.)
Xi’an Jiaotong University
• Founded in 1896
• One of the most prestigious universities in China
• Prioritized by the State of Council in the national Project211 and Project 985
• A leading research-intensive university featuring science and technology subjects
* Excellence in Learning and Teaching, both in Chinese and British Style
• Solid foundation courses
• Interactive, small class teaching
• Subject courses closely linked to the latest developments in their field
• Rigorous quality assurance and monitoring systems established in line with the requirements of the British Quality Assurance Agency (QAA)
• Personal tutorial system and external mentoring system
* International Learning and Teaching Environment
• Nearly 200 academic staff members from over 25 countries
• Around 100 overseas students from over 10 countries
• All courses using English as the medium of instruction
* Campus in a world-famous city — Suzhou
• Known as a paradise on earth
• UNESCO World Heritage Gardens
• GDP of Suzhou nearly RMB 1 trillion in 2009, ranking the fifth in China after Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen
* Affordable, Comfortable and Safe Living
• Much lower living cost than that in neighbouring city Shanghai
• Well-equipped accommodation
• Modern infrastructure
* Great Career Prospects
• China has become the world’s fastest growing economy
• The Yangtze River Delta is the heart of China’s economic development, where a world-class cluster of cities are emerging
• Suzhou Industrial Park is one of the 9 most promising development zones in the world. 4/5 of the Fortune 500 companies have invested projects in or around Suzhou Industrial Park
At XJTLU, English is used as the medium of instruction and is also the working language at the University. XJTLU has developed a highly professional academic team recruited from around the world. They all have an excellent command of English, typically hold PhD degrees from internationally renowned universities, and have a broad global vision as well as many years of overseas teaching and research experience. Staff induction and professional development training are provided by the University of Liverpool to all new staff.
Further Education and Employability
In July 2010, we had the first cohort of 136 graduates. 67 of them were granted First-class honours degrees, which is almost five times the 2008/9 UK average percentage.
Approximately 97% of XJTLU graduates are pursuing their Masters or PhD degrees at world renowned universities such as the University of Cambridge, Imperial College London, the Hong Kong University of Science & Technology and the University of Liverpool amongst others.
The table below lists some top universities that have accepted XJTLU’s graduates to study for their Master’s or PhD degrees.
The University of Cambridge
University College London
Imperial College London
The University of Edinburgh
King’s College London
The University of Manchester
The University of Bristol
The University of Warwick
The University of Birmingham
London School of Economics and Political Science
The University of St. Andrews
The University of Liverpool
The University of Queensland, Australia
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Opportunities to Transfer to the University of Liverpool
XJTLU students, including international students, have opportunities to transfer to the University of Liverpool with 2+2 and 4+1 schemes, subject to academic achievement. However, students of English programmes are not able to transfer to the University of Liverpool with 2+2 scheme.
Up to now, around 760 XJTLU students have transferred to the University of Liverpool to continue their studies.