Lanzhou University of Technology is located in Lanzhou, the provincial capital of Gansu Province, once a significant fortress on China’s historic Silk Road, is a university of science and engineering with a long history. The university was first established in 1919 as Gansu provincial Technical School. In 1958, the school was renamed Lanzhou Polytechnic Institute，and in the same year, after a merger with Gansu Jiaotong College, the institute was renamed as Gansu University of Technology. In 1965, the University expanded the specialty curriculum when three specialties from Northeast Heavy-Machine Building Institute, and one specialty from Beijing Machine-Building Institute became a part of the University. The above specialties were a part of First Machine-Building Industry Ministry of China prior to transfer. Subsequent to the reorganization of the State Council of China in 1998, the University’s administration is under the control of both the central and local government, with the local government having the major responsibility for operation. The University was renamed as Lanzhou University of Technology in 2003.
With 90 years’ development, the university has become a comprehensive and well-recognized scientific and technological institution of higher learning. The University has great strength in engineering, a strong foundation in science fields and excellent programs in liberal arts, has a multi-disciplinary, multi-level, multi-type training system, including doctor, master, bachelor degree, and plays a supporting role in the social and economic development of the Northwest part of China.
The university now has 12 provincial key disciplines, 3 post-doctoral research stations, 5 first-grade doctoral programs, 25 second-grade doctoral programs, 17 first-grade master programs, 77 second-grade master programs, and 18 Master of Engineering and professional license of Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Master of Accounting (MPAcc), 53 undergraduate majors, 6 national specialties with characteristics. Hi-Tech center is the first national institution of demonstration, including two state-level scientific and technological innovation platforms. The university has 5 national key laboratories and engineering research centers, 15 provincial research institutes, 22 university-enterprise cooperative technology engineering centers, 34 research institutes.
The university has 17 colleges and a teaching department. About 42,000 students study at the university, including 3,552 students who pursue doctoral and master degree, 22,100 full-time undergraduates. There are 1,506 full-time teachers in the university, including one academician sharing with the Chinese Academy of Sciences, 191 professors, 472 associate professors, 411 doctoral and master mentors.
The university has an excellent learning condition. The two campuses have an area of 1.62 million m2, a building area of 996,000 m2, the library collection of 1.68 million volumes, 10,200GB e-books and other digital resources. The university has a total area of the language laboratory center over 1,000 m2, more than 200 sets of equipments, the total value exceeds RMB3.5 million. The center has 13 sets of language laboratories, 6 sets are digital, 7 sets are simulate, the total number of seats are 680.
The university's academic standards continue to improve. The core journal articles and EI papers ranked number 90 and number 75 each among all the universities. The authorization number and the application number of patent ranked the first in Gansu province during last seven years and ranked top 60 among all the universities.
The university actively develops international exchanges and cooperation with more than 60 universities of the United States of America, Britain, Russia, Japan, Australia and other countries. About 100 or more visiting scholars are invited and sent annually.
The school of Humanities has a Chinese Language Teaching Center, there are many Chinese language teachers teaching international students.