Southwest University of Political Science and Law (SWUPL) was founded in 1953 from the Department of Political Science and Law of Southwest University of People’s Revolution through merging the Political Science and Law departments of Chongqing University and Sichuan University, the Law departments of Chongqing Finance and Economy College, and of Guizhou University and Yunnan University during the reconstruction of the higher education institutions in 1952. In 1978, the University was accredited as a key university by the State Council and was one of the first key universities to enroll students from all over China. In 1995, approved by the Ministry of Education, the University was renamed Southwest University of Political Science and Law. In February 2002, the administration of the University was transferred from the Ministry of Justice to the Chongqing municipality, thus creating a system of co-administration between the central and local government. The University occupies an area of more than 2000 mu, consisting of Shapingba and Yubei Campuses, boasting 20,000 students of different programs.