Temple of Chen Family was built between 1890 and 1894 during the reign of Emperor Guangxu of the Qing dynasty, and is the largest, best preserved, and best decorated ancient architecture existing in Guangdong province. It was built with donations of the Chen family then spread in 72 counties in Guangdong province. The temple used to provide lodgings for candidates of the Chen family who came to Guangdong to prepare for imperial examinations in Guangzhou.
Chen Family Temple used to provide lodgings for candidates of the Chen family who came to Guangdong to prepare for imperial examinations in Guangzhou. The complex consists of two main courtyards. The front one was used for study of the Confucian classics while the back one housed a temple to the ancestors of the Chen clan. In 1986, it was designated as an important cultural relic by the State Council. The temple is now the site of the Museum of Guangdong Folk Arts and Crafts. The scenes depict stories from Chinese literature and folklore and include real and mythical animals. The whole complex now houses a museum of Chinese handicrafts, and is remarkably well-preserved. The cultural revolution did little damage to it.