Home > Admission

Programs and fees

General Introduction to Qualifications Available

New China began accepting overseas students in 1950. In the past few years, the number of foreign students in China has increased greatly. And the programmes available are diverse in catering to different needs of foreign students, which include language students, undergraduates, postgraduates, doctoral students, research scholars, and those taking all kinds of short-term training courses.

Language trainees:
Universities accept students who have achieved the minimum of a high school education for courses in the Chinese language. These courses usually last 1 or 2 years. Students are given certificates after they complete their course. Students who do not speak Chinese and want to study further in China are usually required to complete a language-training course.

Undergraduate degrees usually require 4-5 years of study. International students have classes together with native Chinese students. In accordance with each student's past education, some classes of a degree course can be cancelled and some have to be added. Students receive a Bachelor's degree after passing the necessary exams and completing a thesis.

Master's degrees are granted after 2-3 years of study. As well as written exams and a postgraduate thesis, oral examinations are also taken.

Doctorate students:
Three years of study are needed to obtain a PhD.

Research scholars:
Research is usually conducted independently by the student under the supervision of an assigned tutor. Any surveys, experiments, interviews, or visits that a research scholar has to make need to be arranged before hand and authorized.

Short-term training courses:
Short-term courses are now offered in many areas such as Chinese literature, calligraphy, economics, architecture, Chinese law, traditional Chinese medicine, art, and sports. Courses are offered in the holidays as well as during term time.

Foreign students are encouraged to continue their studies and obtain Master's or doctoral degrees in China's universities, and those who have graduated in China are welcome to return for further education.

Costs for Self-Supporting Students

The following table is only a rough guide to expenses for self-supporting foreign students. Costs vary from university to university as well as over time. For more detailed and up-to-date information, please consult the admission brochures of each institution.

Category Sorts of Foreign Students Fee Standard (per person per year)
Tuition fee for arts subjects Undergraduates, Chinese-language trainees US $1,700-3,200
Postgraduates US $2,200-3,700
Doctoral students US $2,700-4,200
Short-term students US $350-600 per month
Tuition fee for science, technology, agriculture, medicine, sports, art Undergraduates, common trainees US $1,800-6,400
Postgraduates US $2,600-7,400
Doctoral students US $2,900-8,400
Short-term students US $350-1,200
Registration fee US $50-100
Accommodation US $2-3 per person (in a shared room with a public toilet and bathroom). Accommodation of a higher standard is often available, although at greater expense.
Course materials US $30-50 for arts subjects, a little bit more for sciences, agronomy, medicine, sports and art.
Canteen food US $40-60 per person per month for foreign student dining halls; US $20-30 per person per month for Chinese student dining halls.