Nanchang Tenwang Pavilion, with Wuhan Yellow Crane Tower and Yueyan’s Yueyang Tower, is one of the “Three Grand Buildings of South Yangtze”. The Teng Wang Attic wrote by Wang Bo, an outstanding poet in early Tang Dynasty, made it well-known and more famous at that time. At the year 1926, it was destroyed in the war and kept in silence for decades. The Pavilion we visit today was rebuilt in 1985, according to the 8 sketches, which analyzed the imperial drawings of Song Dynasty, drawn by architect master Sicheng Liang in 1942.
The history of this pavilion can be dated back early Tang Dynasty - at the year A.D. 653, this project, ordered by King’s brother “Prince Ten” Yuanying Lee, was put into operation as a hedonic palace. Due to its privileged location - right on the east bank of grand Gan River, it was also the best place for local officials to entertain guests for centuries. Besides, it was also a place to store and reserve books and records, can be called the ancient library.
With a height of 57.5 m, Tenwang Pavilion’s main building area is 13,000 square meters. Beneath the main building, there is a 12 meters high Stand with two layers, which embraced by two cucullate artificial lakes. Take an outside view, people will see the main construction has three floors with winding corridors, but it just a disguise as the pavilion, actually have 7 layers – 3 clear layers and 3 blindstories plus one mechanical floor in the garret.
The key color of the Pavilion is Red, varied shades of red - bright red, vermeil, deep purple-red and reddish brown…were used in rafters, roof boardings and pillars, doors and windows, etc. But all the tiles paved on the roof and eaves, displaying elegant deep green, well-balanced the so active reds. The whole construction shows a magnificent and dignified manner.
Step into the first floor the main hall, a large white marble carved stone come into view - it describes a legendary story of poet Wang Bo. The west part of this hall keeps a coppery mini Pavilion, in the proportion of 1:25.